Landlord gas safety certificate law

If you are a landlord, you are legally required to have a gas safety inspection carried out by a Gas Safe Engineer. It’s a good idea to repair and maintain all gas appliances regularly, but it’s the annual Gas Safe Engineer check that is legally required. In return, you will receive a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate as proof of compliance.

The Landlord Gas Safety Certificate applies to all landlords and must be completed on an annual basis, as stated in The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations of 1998. It’s important to keep a record of all safety checks and to issue a copy to tenants within 28 days, showing that the check has been completed. When new tenants move in, you need to provide them with a copy beforehand.

Every 12 months you must have a landlord safety inspection carried out to show that all the gas appliances, fittings and flues have been checked by a registered Gas Safe Engineer. This can take place up to two months before the date of the check, whilst still retaining the original end date. Not only does this ensure the safety of your tenants, but it gives you peace of mind that you are providing a safe and well maintained property. This doesn’t only apply to gas appliances within the home itself, but also those in communal areas that will be used by tenants. If you have a new gas appliance fitted, you are obligated to arrange a gas safety check within 12 months.

At Grand Union, we offer a wide range of service and this includes landlord safety inspections for Landlord Gas Safety Certificates. To find out more about who we are and what we do, get in touch.